Our group, belonging to the Physics Department at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), develops models in the fields of superconductivity, magnetism, and nanotechnology, and the borders between them. Our goal is to analyze the physics in some interesting systems with potential applications. For this purpose, we collaborate with several groups around the world (see collaborations for a list of them).
RECENT GROUP NEWS
*Our work on Invisible magnetic sensors has been selected as “Editor’s Pick” in Applied Physics Letters and highlighted by Phys.org.
*Our group participates in the European FET-OPEN project MaQSens. The project led by Prof. Markus Aspelmeyer seeks to establish a radically new technology platform for experiments in macroscopic quantum physics and for quantum enabled sensing.
* Our reseach on enhancing wireless charging with metamaterials is published in Adv. Mat. and highlighted by Phys.org, MaterialsToday, La Vanguardia, ABC, El Punt Avui and the News of TV3 (see video in catalan).
* Our work on keeping magnetic skyrmions on track is published in Phys. Rev. B and highlighted by Physics Central.
* The video that DNews channel made on our magnetic wormhole reseach has reached 2.5 millions visits in YouTube (as in March 18).
* Àlvar Sànchez has been invited to deliver a talk on the magic of magnetic metamaterials in the XX Semana da Engenharia (SEMENG) of the Universidade Estadual Paulista in front of an audience of 800 engineering students.
* Jordi Prat Camps has been selected to appear in the 30 Under 30 Europe list for Science and Healthcare by Forbes Magazine.
* Our research on the development of the first magnetic wormhole is published in Scientific Reports (see full text) and highligthed by Scientific American, New Scientist, Physics World, Smithsonian, Discovery News (see video), RTVE, among others (see Media), and has also been selected as one of the Coolest Science stories of 2015 by Gizmodo.
* Àlvar Sànchez has given a TEDx talk about invisibility in Palma de Mallorca.
* Our research on the development of the first magnetic hose, in collaboration with Oriol Romero-Isart and Ignacio Cirac is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. (see Publications) and highligthed as Editor Suggestion’s and Viewpoint in Physics by American Physical Society, and also in Physics Today, Physics World, New Scientist, and Materials Today.
* Our research on superconducting vortex lattices, in collaboration with Oriol Romero-Isart, Ignacio Cirac and Peter Zoller is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. (see Publications) and highligthed as a Focus in Physics.
* The group research on magnetic invisibility has got the second position in Premio Vanguardia de la Ciencia at the best scientific discovery of 2012 in Spain, and has received a special mention in the Premis Ciutat de Barcelona 2012.
* Our research on magnetic energy harvesting and concentration at distance is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. (see Publications) and highligthed as a Focus in Physics and also in PhysicsWorld, PHYS.ORG, and RSEF. A patent based on this work has been applied.
* Our research on Quantum Magnetomechanics, to bring large levitating superconducting microspheres to the quantum regime, in collaboration with the group of Ignacio Cirac and Oriol Romero-Isart at MPQ in Garching, is published in Phys. Rev. Lett. (see Publications) and is highligthed in Nature Physics News and Views.
* Our research on the experimental realization of a magnetic cloak, in collaboration with the group of Fedor Gömöry in Slovakia, published in Science (see Publications), appeared in some international news (see Media).
* First magnetic cloak developed: the group’s research on antimagnets appeared in some international news (see Media). Our article appears in the Highlights of 2011 collection of New Journal of Physics (NJP).